The UniC Network Launch Event
Webinar: Can students save the climate?
Thursday, October 8, 2020
10:30 am to 11:30 am (EDT / GMT-4)
Free virtual event open to all
Watch the bilingual webinar here
Choose the corresponding link for the:
French interpretation or the
Can students save the climate?
A conversation about the role of academic communities in climate action, with:
- Sophie D’Amours, Rector of Université Laval
- Amelia Clarke, Associate Dean of Research, Faculty of Environment, University of Waterloo
- Melissa Goodall, Deputy Director, Office of Sustainability, Yale University
- Cedrik Verreault, Student at Université Laval and member of the UniC Network
- Animated by Véronique Fournier, Student at Université Laval and member of the steering committee.
Including a 15-minute question period from the audience.
All over the world, students are mobilizing. Through their courses, research projects, or their entrepreneurial and civic initiatives, they are increasingly involved in climate action. They are looking forward to a change and want to participate in this change.
In order to respond to this aspiration, Université Laval is launching the International Student Climate Network – UniC. This initiative, unprecedented in the academic world, aims to unite students from higher education institutions on five continents around collective and interdisciplinary projects.
|The International Student Climate Network – UniC is the only platform entirely dedicated to support and promote student climate action, thereby building bridges between the student action and society.|
Objectives of the UniC Network:
- Support the sharing of knowledge and practices
- Foster new international collaborations
- Value student action and encourage concrete and collaborative initiatives.
Well anchored in international discussions, the UniC Network is structured around 5 axes of cooperation, each corresponding to an aspect of student life through which climate action can be expressed.
The UniC Network aims at becoming a catalyst for climate action.
An initiative of Université Laval, led by the Institut EDS, in collaboration with the Government of Quebec’s Green Fund, the Secrétariat à la jeunesse du Québec, the Government of Canada, the City of Quebec and the McCall MacBain Foundation with the participation of the Université de Lausanne, the Université Alioune Diop of Bambay, the Institut du Nouveau Monde, les Offices jeunesse internationaux du Québec and l’Office franco-québécois pour la jeunesse.